August 7, 2013

Mandrake Me

Have you ever wanted a reason to shriek your ever lovin' head off for no reason all day long? well i'm gonna give you one. when you're a mandrake EVERYONE wants to try to unpot you to see if you'll scream. Here's a real general breakdown of how i made my mandrake costume for the very last movie midnight release (*sob*)
First you start with a bendy plastic beer bucket thing from walmart ($5) and you cut out the bottom. Then you paint the bucket a pot kinda color. *note i learned from repainting the beauxbatons shoes that the spray paint for plastic works GREAT all by itself no primer needed on surfaces that flex and bend. plastic primer and regular spray paint do not. as proven by this project. it was fine for one night but its almost all flaked off now. i wanted the metal bucket look but that didnt come in the plastic spray paint. i think when i repaint it ill try to go for a terracotta look. ill blog that process if it ever happens :0)
now you need dirt to put in your pot. how else are you gonna grow!? so i used this auto upholstery weight fabric cause it HAS to be somethin real sturdy and i liked the dirt like texture of this stuff plus it was REAL cheap as a remnant. i cut off the salvage edges and and cut them a little longer than my natural waist measurement (read: thats around your belly button area. not where you wear your pants. thats your high hip) and i sewed them together along the cut edge. i did not enclose any seams. i wanted this costume all frayed.
then i sewed a circle of fabric with a slit up the side and the center cut out to that waist band. kinda like making a circle skirt. see here for a better idea of what im talking about. except hers is slightly less than a full 360 circle but its close enough.
figure out how far below your natural waist you want your pot top to be and cut  your dirt skirt to a few inches longer than that (see below). Im really sorry i didn't take pictures of this next part but i was totally out of hands to be able to accomplish that.  i put my sewing machine 1/2 way off of my table and held the needle end with my knee. then i put the dirt bottom edge inside the pot and literally hand cranked (read: twisted the needle up/down knob instead of using the pedal) around the whole pot. it didn't take too long. it was way faster than trying to hand sew it. the needle went through the plastic just fine but i needed to hand crank to fenegal all the parts and try to hold the bucket and the fabric and the machine. sheesh.
to make your roots for both wrists and ankles you do this: get a buncha cotton fabrics in different patterns but all the same color family. snip snip snip the edge. grab two adjoining snipped sections and RIP! yeah! thats fun huh?! rip rip rip. all nice and frayed. pick up a couple of strips and sew those to the bottom of some brown leggings. just keep adding clumps of roots and sew a little bit till you get all the way around the leg.
To make the shirt i bough 2 short sleeved nude color t shirts cause they were like $1 a piece. one i left as is. the other i cut long strips out of the front and the back. roughly in a sleeve shape (see below) the length was the distance from the sleeve edge to my knuckles. one end was as wide as the sleeve opening. the other was a little wider than my hand. then i a sewed (right sides together) down each long side and across the short narrow end turn it right side out and added my roots in the same fashion as the leggings. on the sewn shut narrow end i just snipped the holes to poke my fingers and thumb through. then i sewed this onto the existing sleeve opening.
Now you crochet an ear flap hat look up any pattern on the internet or just make a beanie and sew on two triangles with braided chin ties where your ears are. i imagine you could sew this kinda shape too if you are disinclined to yarn things. i did mine in this more helmet shape to be sure it covered all my hair. then i just sewed the front flap back cause it was just more comfortable on my face that way. then i bought a fake fern from walmart and murdered it. ripped the little bastard limb from limb and stuck each limb through a hole in the top of the hat and whip stitched around it to secure it.the whole hat was less than 3 bucks.
Using parchment look scrapbooking card stock i printed out my warning label from my friends blog and tied it on with some hemp i had laying around. TADA!!!! MANDRAKE!!no magical earmuffs?! shes really brave or really dumb. i cant tell which but either way shell be passed out shortly. someone get ready to catch her!
I really hope you like this and that it answered all your questions. if not feel free to ask away! ill do my best to answer. you can send me a private msg with the comments form in the sidebar or you can always ask in the comments. i bet other people might like the answer too! 

Please follow my blog or comment. it makes me feel awesome like im surrounded by other hogwarts students!

4 comments:

Shannon said...

I think this is one of my favorite costumes you made.

Megan said...

That costume is amazing. Seriously. You've outdone yourself yet again, Pren!

Pren Posada said...

Awwww thanks guys!

Pren Posada said...

Awwww thanks guys!